Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January: Tradition! Tradition! Same Old Tradition!

I thought since I have started out just about every year with a goal to loose weight and choose to be healthy that this would be my first month's theme: Healthy Choices!
The other day as I was thinking about what the kids and I will be doing this month to make healthier choices I asked my older three girls to name me some healthy foods.  Here are their answers:

M (Age 6): Oranges, Medicine,Watermelon, Strawberries, Life Cereal
K (Age 4): Pretzels, Goldfish, Protein, Cheeseburgers,Water
B (Age 2): Carrots, Dinner

I didn't think their answers were too bad.  I should have know that K thought cheeseburgers (from McDonalds) were  healthy.  They are her favorite.  And M and her sisters have been sick for four months straight.  If taking medicine relieves the pain and aches I guess it does seem to make you healthier. B loves her dinners!

Then I asked them what their favorite foods were.

M: Turkey, Pineapple, Rolls, Pretzels (they were eating pretzels while I was asking them hence the repeat), Salad, Salad (she wanted me to put this twice.  She has been known to have four to five servings of salad at one sitting)
K: Pineapple, Strawberries, Apples, Pretzels (there it is again), Cheeseburgers, Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese, and Oranges (Cuties to be exact.  We love our cuties!)
B: Had already left the room to play, but she is our "Mikey" of the house!  She will eat about everything I ask her to.  She loves tofu, eggplant, mushrooms, etc.  All the stuff that my other kids won't even look at. 

So to start out this new year here are my goals for January that I hope to make life long habits (I am trying to keep them simple so I don't burn out the first month).

1.  Get rid of all processed food in our house.
2.  Buy more fruits and vegetables and make them accessible to kids.
3.  Exercise with kids at least 3x a week.
4.  Prepare more well balanced meals and incorporating them into our 3 month supply of food.
5.  Get the girls to like one new fruit or vegetable a week.

We are still on vacation till Friday of this week so Friday will be my kick off day!  I have some fun ideas on how to carry out my plans.  Here we go!

No comments: